Middle School (6-8)
Chapel Field Middle School houses grades 6-8 and is located on our South Campus along with our High School. Middle School students have the opportunity to begin honors & Regents classes, and may participate in modified sports as well as vocal and instrumental ensembles.
Modified sports available include soccer, basketball, softball, baseball, and track & field.
Middle School students also participate in Spirit Week, the school drama, student government, Christian service, and missions trips.
Academics: Middle School Paths by Subject
- Grade 6: Global Studies: History, Geography, and Culture (Eastern Hemisphere)
- Grade 7: United States History (Age of Exploration to the Start of the Civil War)
- Grade 8: United States History (Unrest before the Civil War to Present Day)
- Grade 6: ELA 6 (Focus: short stories, non-fiction texts, essay writing, research)
- Grade 7: English 7 (Focus on essay development, expository writing [fiction/non-fiction], connecting literature and culture)
- Grade 8: English 8 (Literature focus: short stories and poetry, literary techniques, critical thinking, written responses exercise writing skills)
- Grade 6: Earth and Universe (Introduction to Earth Science)
- Grade 7: Life Science (Introduction to Biology)
- Grade 8: Physical Science (Introduction to Physics and Chemistry)
- Grade 6: Mathematics 6 (connecting ratio and rate to whole number multiplication, division and problem solving; division of fractions; expressions and equations; statistical thinking)
- Grade 7: Pre-Algebra 7 (proportional relationships; operations with rational numbers; expressions and linear equations; scale drawings and informal geometric constructions; two- and three-dimensional shapes to solve problems; drawing inferences about populations)
- Grade 8: Pre-Algebra 8 (formulating and reasoning about expressions and equations; solving linear equations and systems of linear equations; grasping the concept of a function; using functions to describe quantitative relationships; analyzing two- and three- dimensional space and figures; Pythagorean Theorem)
· Foreign Language:
- Grade 6: Spanish 6 (Introduction to Spanish, basic vocabulary, alphabet, phonics)
- Grade 7: Spanish 7 (Introductory vocabulary, basic conjugation, develop phonics, reading aloud, develop conversations with vocabulary studied)
- Grade 8: Spanish 8 (Expand vocabulary, development of conjugation, sentence structure and grammar, dialogues, prepare for high school level Spanish)
· Arts: Middle school students are required to be enrolled in chorus each year in attendance. Band and studio art classes are available to middle school students as electives.
· Physical Education: Students should be enrolled in a “half credit” physical education course each year of middle school (two class periods a week on separate days).